Duo Security October 2018 - April 2019
- Maintained ML pipeline for detecting and reporting on anomalous user authentication.
- Created a custom REST API for configuring the pipeline and presenting results.
- Created a metrics aggregation system for AWS capacity planning.
Technologies: Python, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Spark, AWS EMR, Ansible.
Vox Media May 2011 - December 2017
Principal Engineer, Video
- Created a machine learning system to match Facebook video posts to editorial projects published elsewhere, allowing for comprehensive analytics.
- Designed and implemented video transcoding and post-processing pipeline.
- Built system for publishing videos to Apple News for new featured video widget in iOS 11.
- Designed and implemented system for geo-restricting access to video content to meet licensing obligations.
- Researched tooling and best practices for API/Service development.
- Built prototype for Dev/CI/CD workflow using Kubernetes, Helm, and Jenkins.
- Built prototype OIDC server and JWT middleware for scalable microservice authentication and authorization.
Systems Engineering Director
- Responsible for defining the mission of the group (security, infrastructure, core services), recruiting and hiring a five person team, creating a roadmap, and reporting status to senior stakeholders.
- Improved application deployment by introducing a more formal code review, testing, and release process.
- Led team that migrated Chorus from Solr to Elasticsearch.
- As a member of the Verge launch team, extended SB Nation’s custom Ruby on Rails sports blogging platform (Chorus) to support multiple brands and subject matter.
- Built Vox Media’s first microservice, a consumer product database and REST API.
- Maintained one of the most heavily trafficked, legacy RoR monoliths in the world. Upgraded it from 2.x to 3.x (later 4.x), removed cruft and duplicated code, and extensively refactored critical subsystems - all without disrupting concurrent feature development.
SenderHQ June 2012 - May 2013
Designed and developed a web-based fitness tracking application for the rock climbing community. Prioritized features, built interactive wireframes, conducted user research and customer interviews. Developed a social media and blog presence - driving traffic to mailing list and improving SEO. Managed infrastructure, operations, and deployment. Developed features, notably:
- A fully responsive design
- CDN caching to improve mobile browser performance
- Social login and sharing using twitter or Facebook
- Global database of geocoded indoor climbing locations
- Social following system with aggregated activity feed
- Printable route labels that include scannable QRCodes
Apple August 2007 - October 2010
Software Engineer, Wiki Server
A member of the Wiki Server group, part of Mac OS X Server. Built a highly scalable web publishing system used by Apple’s small business, enterprise, and education customers worldwide. Developed product features and submitted OS builds. Presented architecture and feature concepts to executives, and demoed to developers at WWDC. Wrote internal and external facing documentation. Reviewed and participated in support discussion boards and mailing lists.
Software Engineer, MobileMe
frog design June 2006 - August 2007
Senior Design Technologist
Technology lead in frog’s first few mobile development programs (Celltop for Alltel Wireless, and HGUI for Bell Mobility). Attended pre-sales meetings and assisted with proposals. Provided project estimates. Worked with client developers and business parters to assist integration. Wrote technical documentation deliverables. Performed mobile handset testing and debugging. Worked with frog’s first QA hire to write test cases.
Handwire August 2004 - June 2006